5.10.08

Worst Enemy

I went today to the Waterford Fair.
Waterford is a small village/town that is still as it was when it was founded--the late 1700s. All the houses are adorable... Even the scenery is pristine [no giant subdivisions of McMansions to view, only sprawling fields with corn or sheep or barns].
I made friends with knitters first and foremost. I met lovely Englishwoman, Sue Radford, who knits some lovely crazy things and also some classic Irish-styles [her father was Irish, and she told me she could see how Irish I was, and that made me very happy] and her booth-helper/fellow knitter who is my age [I think her name is Lauren]. She and I became friends superfast. I bought a hairstick/shawl pin from Sue, it is beautiful, made of wood from her peach tree with a big, openwork wooden bead on the top. They reaffirmed me on my socks-mission, and now I'm just not afraid of them at all. It makes a huge difference when you hear in person that yes, of course you can handle a short-row heel!! No problem! And if you don't like how it works, just try a new method for each pair of socks you make and you'll soon find something you love.
I helped a woman pick out a leather bracelet for her nephew's sixteenth-birthday gift.
I met some needlefelters and a weaver, who sold lovely skeins of yarn for ridiculous prices--even for a craft fair. Even for a prestigious craft fair. I also met a weaver who sold gorgeous yarns, angora, alpaca, camel, yak, but also too expensive.
I bought a skein of homespun Corriedale and silk in shades of olive. It is gorgeous and shall become these Dystopian Mitts.
Then I wandered around and saw loads of cheap, easily knitted novelty hats for kids [pumpkins, apples, etc] and booties and cheap fun-fur scarves priced from $25-$50!!! Seriously! Makes me realize that I should be knitting cheap, easily done things from time to time and selling them for ridiculous prices. But I'd rather knit a small number of really beautiful things than scam a dozen rolled-brim hat out of Lion Brand Homespun for thirty bucks apiece. I'm really not that capitalistic. Isn't art supposed to be about the joy of the creative process? I dunno when money became such a huge deal. Losers.
I also saw some gorgeous paintings that made me wish I had more aritistic talent. Some were lovely collage works... I cannot describe them.
Oh, and I had nachos. That was cool too.
So now I'm at home, stuffed full of shrimp and ice cream, and about half done knitting the sleeves of my straitjacket. Thankfully there are only about three and a half inches of the dreaded fifteen inches of ribbing... Kudos to me for deciding to knit both sleeves at once.
I am approximately half done with Story of O.
It is astounding and amazing and several other a-adjectives. It's mysterious and compelling, full of just what's happening *now* and occaisonal bits of conversation or thought. It jumps right in with O's delivery to Roissy, where she is "broken" sexually, taught to be a desirious object, shown that her only purpose is to be constantly available. Constantly, by any of the "masters" or "valets" as they choose to want her, and then after her release, from any who recognizes the ring on her finger and what it stands for.
It's an awesome book.
I'm off for reading and South Park.
Byeee.

No comments: