8.8.07

Grisly Reaper

So I've been rolling this idea about in my head lately for some new dyed yarns, inspired by some various things I've been pretty into lately. So, below are the sources of said inspiration and the ideas I have for them and any input would be lovely.

David Bowie:: ice blue, violet, black
Venture Brothers:: red, yellow, brown
Moonspell:: pomegranate stain. As in, I want to take all the fruit out of said pomegranate and just rub it all over the yarn. Maybe some cherries and blackberries too.
Princess Bride:: soft pink with specks of white
Smashing Pumpkins:: early years: dark yellow and multi shades of green; gish: vibrant purple, teal, black; Adore and the sad phases: deep purple, dark blue, and brown
Vincent Price:: Bright violet, scarlet. This would have to be a very luxurious yarn with absolutely NO acrylic content.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:: red, green, pink, yellow, blue, orange. Sock yarn. Maybe self-striping?
Displacer Beast:: plum and black
Cthulhu:: sick dark green with flecks of mahogany and black/purple
Snozberries:: fuscia and magenta
Tiamat:: [Tiamat is my kitty, but also a Babylonian Goddess] as many shades of blue and green as possible, dyed in no particular order, perhaps just by splashing the yarn at random with immensely concentrated dye. If you follow the link and read the first paragraph, you'll understand.

I have a million more ideas. I love to dye yarn. As soon as we get to VA, I'm going to get some Jacquard dyes because I've heard so much about them, and I'm going to experiment like CRAZY. Though lately the idea of staining yarn is really on my mind.
Has anybody tried that? Does it work well? Can I get wine, fruit, tea, etc. to dye yarn with proper heating and/or whatever else?

Song of the night:: Monster Magnet, Space Lord [which would be silky shiny yarn with lots of stretch, in reds and black]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! the lead singer from Monster Magnet spit on me at a concert once - right before playing that song.

Anonymous said...

You don't even know how much I'm loving the idea of a David Bowie yarn. That would be so awesome. Sigh...

Valerie said...

That sounds like an awesome idea! I would definitely buy the Cthulhu yarn!